The OR-URISA Emerging Professionals (EP) Mentorship Program introduces new GIS professionals (0-5 years of experiences) and students (college seniors) to established GIS professionals (5+ years experience). The program’s goal is to help connect professionals, foster continuing relationships, and share resources that create opportunities for success for emerging professionals.
The EPs will provide ideas, activities, and opportunities for professional development throughout the six-month program, such as resume reviewing, job shadowing, networking opportunities, brown bag lunch series, promote professional development events, opportunity to present at GIS in Action, develop goals and set an action plan, and learn new skills.
Events to Connect with Mentor Cohort
Below are a sample of events that occur within the program. Due to COVID, the 2020-2021 cohort was cancelled.
Kick-off Event: End of Summer BBQ (Fall 2020)
Mid-program Check-in (Winter 2021)
Program Closing Happy Hour (Spring 2021)
GIS in Action (April 2021)
• Get exposure to a real-life professional workplace setting
• Learn the tricks of the trade
• Scope out potential career paths
• Take your professionalism to the next level; challenge yourself, set higher goals and take risks
• Develop increased competencies and stronger interpersonal skills
• Gain increased visibility in the field
• Find your self-confidence